Saturday, March 3, 2012

Humdinger 2012
















Today was the Humdinger.  This has really become my favorite race.  It's not my favorite while running and I don't do as well compared to the field as I do in other races.  This race is just fun.  It had to be moved from its old location due to new restrictions or something like that, but the race organizers outdid themselves making a new course and a race that was better than ever.  They cut and dug all new trails for most of the entire course and added some interesting obstacles at the end.  It contained the usual fallen logs, completely slanted trails that make you feel like you're running uphill even when headed down, and stream crossings (leaps).  The very last of these was my favorite.  It was after about 5 miles and the stream itself was only about a foot wide, but the sloping ditch on either side opened up at least 6 feet.  I saw a young guy (high school) in front of me negotiating it and I just went for it and leapt the whole span without much of a run up.  I must have made it look easy because from behind I heard, "Nice f-----n' jump!"  That felt good.  After that we got to the obstacles.  We finished with a choice of a rock wall climb, board climb, cargo net, and hay bales up into the 2nd floor of the Pig Barn and a slip-n-slide down to the finish.

Above is the route and elevation profile of the course as I ran it.  Great job to the River Town Race Series!  You did a great job.  There's a reason I try to do as many of your races as possible.

No comments: