Friday, July 30, 2010

VH1's Top 100 One Hit Wonders From the 80's

I have to take issue with the final five.

5. Tainted Love
4. 867-5309/Jenny
3. Take On Me
2. I Ran
1. Come On Eileen

I am ok with four of those songs being in the top five, but to say that Come On Eileen is the best one hit wonder from the 80's is going to far. I personally feel that it is overrated and shouldn't be in the top 10. I'll give it top 20, but no better. There I said it. I am not a fan of Come On Eileen. As for the rest, I agree with their presence in the top 5, but the order is wrong. Here is how I would order them.

4. 867-5309/Jenny
3. I Ran
2. Take On Me
1. Tainted Love

Tell me what you think. I agree with this top 5 more than I usually do with the VH1 countdowns (I can't stop watching them, especially when they deal with the 80's). Which song would you put in the #5 slot?

As for the rest of the list, Midnight Oil was not a 1 hit wonder and doesn't belong. There are a few notable songs that were ranked way too low such as: Boom Boom Boom Let's Go Back To My Room - #89, Major Tom - #68, You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) - #19. Those three are all easily top 20 and You Spin Me Round should be at least top 10 if not in that #5 spot.

Those are the ones that stick out the most. Of course I'd put Relax, Whip It, Safety Dance, and a few others higher, but they are close enough. Check out the list, what glaring errors do you see?

No comments: