Friday, June 25, 2010

Dell Rant

For the first 3 weeks of June, I was without my own computer. I had been using my school laptop, but they needed it for summer maintenance and I couldn't go back to my Windows '98 machine. A quick daily check on my wife's computer was the extent of my usage. For the past week, I have been spoiling myself with my new computer. The problem is, I have been completely unproductive because I have not had any Office applications to use. As I went to use Office 2010 for the first time, I was asked for my product key. After much searching, the key I entered would not work. Upon closer examination, and a bit of humiliation, I realized I was entering the Windows 7 product key.

I sent Dell an email explaining that I did not receive the product key with the computer. The auto-response email stated that they would get back to me within 6 hours. The next day I decided to call Dell. After explaining my situation, I was told that I needed to get the card with the product key on it and enter that. I repeated that I received no such item with my shipments. Anyone who knows me knows that when it comes to technology and its documentation, I don't throw anything away. Finally, the person I was speaking with said that they would send out a copy of Office with a new product key and it should arrive by Tuesday (the day was Monday).

Tuesday came by - nothing. Wednesday came and I got a response to my email saying that I did not need a product key to use the Starter Edition. Thursday came with nothing in the mail, so I responded to the email stating that I purchased, was billed for, and paid for the Home and Student edition and that I was getting a bit cranky. Later that day, I got a response stating that I need to go into the shipping boxes and retrieve the product key. Needless to say (though I'll say it anyway), I was getting a wee might irritated. I checked every box and piece of paper again and then responded that, as I said in the telephone conversation, I never received that card. At that point, I asked that I either get a product key by the end of the week or have my money refunded. I got a response this morning (Friday) saying that they don't send out physical copies, but that a new product key would arrive in 1-3 days.

Arg. At least I have a pretty monitor.

No comments: