Friday, August 20, 2010

Can't open the school cause it's got no doors

After a long summer of watching weekly photo updates of the renovations taking place in my school, I was informed that our rooms would be open for us starting today.  This is the actual quote from the email, "On Friday, August 20th you can get into your classrooms to begin preparing for the 2010 – 2011 school year."  If you read that, you might think, as I did, that everything was ready to go.  I can work on setting up the room.  I can get stuff up on the walls.  I can organize my desk and storage areas.  In other words, I headed to school ready to get some work done considering that classes start in about a week - August 30.  As I enter the middle school's temporary office location in the high school, the assistant principal looks at me and says with a slight chuckle, "You might be able to do some work in your room, I think you have floors."  Long story short, my room is basically finished.  It's painted, the flooring is down, and storage is in place.  It's just missing minor things like my Eno board (IWB), whiteboard, or even the chalkboard I tried to save from being tossed out.  Some lights were on, but there are no light switches.  I have a lot of desks and such in my room, but I noticed that they were all labeled from other teachers' classrooms.  Suffice to say, I didn't get any work done.


But my classroom is in better shape than other parts.  I have flooring, other rooms just have concrete.  I have a door, the school has large pieces of wood in the entry way.  The doors are supposed to come on Friday, and they are supposed to open to students the following Monday.  I can't believe how many changes have happened to the structure of the school, and I'm excited to have walls that reach the ceiling, a door, and windows, but I can't say that I'm all that confident that the school will actually be able to open in time.  Once it's ready to go, I think that these changes are going to have far reaching benefits to the school, both academic and in the general atmosphere.  My main concern for now, however, is how I'm going to teach without any writing surfaces on my walls.  Should be interesting.

No comments: