Monday, August 30, 2010

The good outweighed the bad, but the bad is soooo annoying

Day one is over and done with.  I think it was a pretty successful day, especially considering we didn't even have doors on the building last week.  Most of the ceilings had ceiling panels, I didn't see any exposed wires, and I had a functioning door.  Perhaps the best part is that it was 90 degrees out today and the AC in my room was functioning and comfortable, even with a southern exposure window.  The walls reach the ceiling and I am not at the top of a stairwell anymore.  All of that stuff is good.

However, there is no power to the outlets in the front of the room, so I can't really run my computer.  Granted, it's not going to be that useful until they put the data drops in so we have internet access and my Eno board and projector are installed.  The exposed concrete floor is a lovely shade of grey (I like spelling that color with an 'e' rather than an 'a').  I also like the fine, powdery dust that coats everything, regardless of how often you wipe surfaces off.

Honestly, though, as annoying as all of those little things are, it was a good start to what I hope will be a great year.  Now I just need to figure out what I'm actually teaching tomorrow.  Can't play name games and logic puzzles for the next 179 days.

My daughter has successfully completed three days at kindergarten.  Day one there was no fear getting on the bus.  She has a favorite person to sit with on the bus.  I hope for his sake he enjoys the company, because subtlety does not work on her and it's close to an hour long bus ride in the morning.

No comments: