Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm raising my daughter right

The girl has been going through a lot of maturation this past year.  Kindergarten has pushed her levels of independence to previously unknown levels.  She's taking showers and cleaning herself with minimal assistance.  And, she even has taken to choosing her own clothes, with her own style.  None of that is something I can take credit for.  However, I think I have had some influence on her current push for an identity.  She's been stating, ofter vociferously, that she loves rock-n-roll.  She treats us daily to her dance interpretations of whatever music is playing.  She's a big fan of Gogol Bordello.  She's been going through my CD collection asking to hear different things.  Last night was a watershed moment.  For a while now, she's been saying how much she likes drums and guitars.  Everything I put on, she said she wanted more drums and guitars and could I please turn it up.  A light bulb went off, I put on a particular CD, and she actually started headbanging.  It was Metallica, Master of Puppets.

I figured out that my 5-year-old daughter's particular taste in music may be metal.

The coolest thing is that she likes so many different things.  I was worried for a while because she was gravitating to things like Lady Gaga and K$sha (some tracks of which are cunningly catchy), but I kept hope because she liked Gogol Bordello so much more.  But after her repeated requests for more drums and more guitar, I can see that her musical tastes will be fine.

Rock on.

No comments: