Sunday, November 4, 2012

Laps of Reason and the myth of the extra hour

Yesterday I ran a race.  This is nothing new.  I've run lots of races and I plan on running many more.  This one was different, though.  It was called the Laps of Reason ('e' left off intentionally).  It was a three hour lap race on a beautiful rail/trail conversion in Danville, PA.  Each lap was 4k (about 2.5 miles) and it ran similar to cyclocross where we were to finish as many laps as we could in 3 hours.  I went into the race without a lot of distance preparation.  I ran a half-marathon in May, but since then haven't done any runs longer than 7.5 miles.  Based on my few longer runs this fall (school really gets in the way of training), I figured I could handle 10 minute miles for the duration and get 7 laps (17.5 miles).  I was right, but my first four laps (10 miles) were run in 90 minutes, averaging 9:00/mile.  I actually finished a half-marathon distance faster than I did when I trained for it in May.

Of course, at this point, I started thinking, "I could do 8 laps for 20 miles."  Let's put this in perspective.  I once ran a marathon, but it has an asterisk next to it.  I made it 17 miles before ever so gently pulling hamstring and quad muscles in the same leg.  Being the culminating activity for a marathon class my senior year of college and I had to finish to remove an incomplete from my record, I walked the last nine miles to finish in just under the cut-off time to be listed in the official results.  So even though I finished a marathon, I didn't run it and the 17 miles I did run were the farthest I had ever run.  In the intervening 14 years, I've only had a handful of runs over 10 miles.  But I felt great and the pace seemed easy and my body wasn't telling me anything different.

Fast forward half a lap and my body found it's voice.  My mile times were still ok, but I was thinking of stopping (one of the neat aspects of the race - run as long as you want; then stop).  I made it through lap five and then lap six hit me.  The miles finishing lap five and starting lap six dropped to 11.5 and 10.5 minutes each.  I recovered in anticipation of lap seven and made it through.  As I finished lap seven, I saw the clock:  12 minutes remained.  I groaned.  As long as you start a lap before time ends, it counts.  I stopped to get my bracelet for finishing a lap and drank some Gatorade.  I had run 17.5 miles and still had time to do 2.5 more.  I couldn't stop.  My body sure wanted to.  For the first seven laps, I averaged 9:30/mile.  The last lap averaged 11:56/mile, but I did it.  I ran 20 miles

Right now I hurt.  My knees hurt.  My hips hurt.  My shoulders even hurt.  But I ran 20 miles in just over three hours.  Six more and I've got a marathon...

As far as that "extra hour" from leaving daylight savings.  It doesn't exist.  If you have kids, you know exactly what I mean.

No comments: