Friday, February 29, 2008

Technology in the classroom

I am a very big fan of technology in the classroom. Problem is, I don't have the money to fund it, so I have to rely on my school to do so. I have to say, I think I am pretty lucky this year. I am getting (along with my science teammate) 20 TI-84+ graphing calculators. I teach one class of Algebra and three Pre-Algebra's at my school's 8th grade. For the past couple of years, I've used my own personal stash a couple of times with the students, but I only have a few and it's hard to get a feel for them without actually touching them (in groups smaller than 5). Next year, I need to make a big push to really use them in a way that will make the argument for me that I can use more technology than I have in a way that will really benefit my students. Unfortunately, that translates into better test scores - don't get me started on that rant. It will come in a few more weeks when state testing begins.

This weekend starts the real countdown to baby #2, due the beginning of April. I am very excited, but as I look around the house, I realize how much I need to do to get ready. And that doesn't even include the baby's room!

I am also getting interested in the presidential race. For the first time that I remember, the candidates may actually be interesting. Granted, we are limited by the two parties and have to settle for the minor differences between them, but there is an energy building that I don't remember from any of the races before. Who knows? Maybe change is an actual possibility this year. Or, it may be mere naive hope.

Goodbye February, this snow falling at this moment may be the lion bringing in March.

No comments: