Friday, August 15, 2008

Kenmore Refrigerator Warning

I've usually had nothing but good things to say about Kenmore appliances, but earlier this week, I encountered a problem. We have a bottom freezer, French door refrigerator and it had a major problem. Something happened so that the light bulbs stopped turning off when you shut the doors. This heated up a metal plate that holds the control panel. This got so hot that the plastic of the control panel actually melted so the entire control panel fell off. I had to unplug the fridge in order to let the light bulbs cool enough so I could unscrew them. Now I have a dark fridge with a big control panel hanging from the ceiling of the the fridge. I called Sears, who kindly reminded me that my warranty ran out 2 months ago, and the cheerfully sent out a repairman for a fee of $65 to give an estimate. The also offered and 12 month extended warranty for 12 months, but I had to choose that before anyone looked at the fridge (and pay $300 as well). The guy showed up and we have to replace 2 parts (about $200 each) and pay for labor, another $200.

So, if you start smelling burning dust from the fridge, unplug it, call Sears to get the extended warranty, then let the control panel melt off and let the warranty pay for the problem. I am usually not a supporter of extended warranties because the only reason that a company would offer one is because they are going to make money on it, but if you know the problem is going to cost enough, it's worth it.

I've seen this problem happening with other people and wish Sears would do something about it.

No comments: