Saturday, August 16, 2008

She's lost it

I love my wife, but I think the lack of sleep, breast-feeding, and soon-to-be 3-year-old have taken their toll. My daughter is having her 3rd birthday party. Actually, one for family on Saturday and one with friends on Sunday. Did I mention she's turning three? I love her a lot too, but everything seems a bit much. What do you think? Our niece and nephew came today to help. This has resulted in about 100 chocolate covered pretzel rods, 100 3-shaped cookies (frosted), and at least two copies of Happy Birthday in cookies. I have just been informed that they are going to Frankenstein these creations together to create some monstrosity of chocolate covered pretzels combined with the frosted 3-cookies. To be honest, I'm a bit frightened.

As this weren't enough, tomorrow ice cream cone cupcakes are being created for the following day? Is all of this normal? Is this something that I missed out on? I remember a cat cake and a bunny cake for some early birthdays (well, I have photographic evidence of these cakes, but no actual memories, but the pictures do complete a rather reliable causal chain). It is currently 1:15 am and this has been going on since 8:30 or so.

Tomorrow should be fun though. My daughter is at the age where she's anticipating a party and is generally pretty funny. I get to grill and drink Dark and Stormy's, so that's good too. We'll even have some freezer and fridge space (which will make it easier to find things in the dark thanks to overheated metal and melted plastic - see previous post).

The Olympics are awesome. Track and Field finally started today and I start back to work next week. The timing couldn't be better to deprive me of my favorite sport. As more and more professionals enter the Olympics, I'm surprised that they still hold as much interest for me. There is something special about the Olympics. I hope that never goes away.

No comments: