Thursday, September 10, 2009

A new year, a new outlook

Tomorrow I'll be finishing my 3rd week of the new school year. By this time last year, I had pinpointed with laser-like accuracy who the major a******s were going to be (I take pride in an uncanny early detection system that seems to cut through a b******t facade faster than most others). So far, I am not detecting any. Sure, there are some squirrels and some who will be followed by a plethora of people in the south saying, "Bless their heart," but I don't think anyone is going to be be an enemy combatant. This year is looking good.

That's my initial reaction, but it could also be the fact that I'm playing with my new toys every day in the classroom. I got my smartboard (actually it's an Eno board), projector, and laptop - no more running Windows 98 at home anymore. Now I have a Mobi which is a handheld, portable, and wireless device that lets me control the Eno board from anywhere in the room! It is so cool and so much fun. I can stand right behind a talkative student and put notes on the board from there. I can stand in the back, write on the board, and watch what everyone is doing. They have their backs to me instead of the other way around! Even with new expectations placed on us including looming intercession from the state if test scores don't go up, I am having fun. I hope to carry this through the whole year.

No comments: