Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Staples customer service

I had hoped it was a one-time deal. The first time I shopped at my local Staples, I asked a question. Apparently, that was a major mistake. I wanted a router that would work with my DSL modem. As this was my first time with DSL, I wanted to make sure that what I bought would work. So, I asked somebody at the store. That was a big mistake. Rather than a "Yes, sir. That router will work fine with you DSL modem and Windows 98 machine," (for a fan of technology, I just can't afford to keep up) I got one the most snarky responses I've heard in public that was more berrating than helpful.

Fast forward about two years. I'm looking for a snazzy green laser pointer to use in a classroom activity (green because it's cooler than red). After the second person I ask actually shows me that there is only a picture of what they have available instead of the actual products, I go back to ask if any one of them is a green laser. There is no real product information, just a description of the cases. Here is the response I got this time (mostly verbatim): "I don't product test every item in the store!"

Maybe my questions aren't stupid enough and the salespeople are confused and feel the need to resort to general snarkiness. That is the problem with living in a small town. I just don't have many options when it comes to choosing where I shop. I like to touch and feel the products and am leery to buy technology online.

Open warning to Staples: This is strike two.

At least my clover is growing!

No comments: