Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reminder of why I teach

Last night was our school's Honors Banquet. It's a nice night where students are invited with their parents to attend a meal at the school followed by an awards ceremony. Only students who have earned distinguished honor roll each marking period or other teacher-nominated awards are invited. While it is not inclusive and I'm sure some would object, having a night with those students who make teaching easier (and, honestly, more fun) is very gratifying - especially as the year, and nerves, near the end. We had some great students this year and it's easy to overlook how much fun we've had when the daily grind and small stuff seems to come to a head this time of year. Last night was a refresher that I need at least once a year to remind me why I teach.

Earlier this week, we had a soldier on leave from Iraq come speak to our kids about his experiences. One student asked a great question. She asked when the war was going to be over. That wasn't the great question, but it led into one. The soldier responded that he didn't know. She then asked what it would mean to win the war. That was such a great question, and I'm not even sure she knew how good of a question it was.

Well, we're off to Hershey Park with the 8th grade tomorrow. The weather looks good and there's a new ride that has a 97 degree drop. More than straight down, this ride actually comes back on itself. I'm excited. I may have to go rogue, though. My fellow teachers are taking about taking it easy. This is my only chance, usually, to ride roller coasters, and I plan to use all the time I can to do so.

No comments: