Monday, February 2, 2009

Breaking the 7-mile barrier

I can't remember the last time I actually ran seven miles. It was probably when I trained for the marathon in 1998! I was worried for a bit that I wouldn't be able to do it. After school, there was strongly blowing snow, but I was not to be deterred. I headed out and felt extremely clunky and figured the run would take over 1.5 hours. But, after about a mile, I got used to the stinging snow in my eyes and fell into a rhythm. After that, it felt great. I was out on country back roads (one even gravel) and I felt more like me than I've felt in a long time.

Unfortunately, when I got home, my car slid into a snowbank at the bottom of my driveway. We had to pack up the whole clan to go down to the bottom of the driveway so I could push the car out while my wife was behind the wheel. It took about 20 seconds of pushing, but now the car is sitting at the bottom of the driveway and I get a fun walk to my car tomorrow morning. Good times.

I currently am wearing a band-aid on my right nipple because it was a very wet snow while running and I got my first chafed nipple in about ten years. And if you're curious, the band-aid does nothing. It hurts just as much as before, but now I get the swell anticipation of ripping off the hairs when I take the band-aid off to look forward to. But, I did run over seven miles!

No comments: