Saturday, February 7, 2009

Re-evolution of my running

Four weeks have now passed and in each of those weeks I have run four times. That makes my number of runs this year and this incarnation of my running life my wife's favorite number, the square square sixteen. This has been the most consistent and steady my running has been since I hobbled to the end of Grandma's marathon almost 11 years ago. This time is different though. Usually, I have no problem going fast, but have absolutely no endurance. Having completed a seven mile run already, this is not the case. Speed is what's lacking, but it's coming back. Over the last four weeks, I've been rediscovering my form. I have been so tight, with a tiny stride, that speed was not possible. However, I'm finding that after a mile or two, my strides start to loosen up; my hips begin to open up, and I actually hit a flow that I do not remember hitting in the past eleven years. Something is different about this return to running and I think it is making the difference regarding whether or not my current running renaissance flourishes. I think it will. I need running now. It was always a part of my life before, but I think it's more important than ever before. When I'm out on the roads, especially country roads, I feel about as calm as I can. These days, that's worth a lot. Four weeks to the Humdinger!

No comments: