Monday, February 9, 2009

Nike+ iPod thingie

I've had the Nike iPod attachment for a couple of years now, but I've never used it. One, I hadn't been running. Two, my computer still runs Windows 98 and, therefore, cannot run iTunes. Three, I haven't figured out a good way to use the accelerometer without buying Nike+ shoes. Last time I checked, they seemed to cost about $10 more for a removable part of the insole to place the sensor. This seems ridiculous to me and I can't justify it. Also, Nike (which I have always had a soft spot for) doesn't make a shoe that fits me well as a runner. For comfort and every day wearing, I still love the Pegasus, but they just don't quite fit me for running.

I finally tried it out today and had one of the worst runs that I've ever had, mainly because of the sensor. Some people have said to just put it in the sole. These people need to see a podiatrist immediately because they have lost sensation in their foot. That feels like running with a rock in your shoe the size five stacked quarters. Suffice to say, that did not work. Other people say to just lace it into the laces. I think that Nike foresaw this solution to not buying their shoes. Placed as securely as possible within the web of lacing, the sensor failed to last more than ten strides before not just falling out, but being launched out and skittering across the road in hopes of finding a nice car to help it get a little slimmer. I finally found a solution that kept the sensor in place. Wedged towards the toe box, upside down, it actually stayed in place with no difficulty. When I stopped the workout finally, Lance Armstrong came on and congratulated me on my longest workout yet. In just 19 minutes, I had managed to run 0.3 miles - that three tenths of a mile. The sensor does not work upside down.

Now I guess I need to find some sort of pouch that will lace into my shoes. This is starting to seem like more of a hassle than it's worth, but I shall persevere. One additional gripe: why is it so difficult to find a belt clip for my iPod. I still refused to wear the arm bands because I think they look ridiculous.

Any suggestions on where to get a pouch?

No comments: