Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Insert Explitive Here

Today marks day three of the Pennsylvania state tests. We have had two math test and two reading tests with one of each left to go. Monday, the kids had to take one of each back to back and I'm sure glad that they did the math one first because when it came towards the end of the reading test, even the best students were about burned out. That was three hours of straight testing. The rest of these days are a little better with just one test, but that's still 1.5 hours of testing time every day. Then we have classes. And study hall times. And we are not allowed to have tests, quizzes, or homework this week. Did I mention I teach 8th grade? So far, no casualties, but we still have two days to go. I really feel for the kids though. This week has nine hours of testing. A month ago, we had three days of writing tests and in about a month, we have two or three days of science testing. Next year we get to have all four tests in the month of April. I hope we do math first; sorry other subjects.

On a good note, I decided that I need to start doing some speed work if I ever want to get my miles faster. I planning on a 5k in April (25th) and I just don't have any speed these days. I chose to do some pace work, headed to the track (that felt nice), and enjoyed the temps in the 60's with twelve 400m repeats, attempting a 96 seconds pace for each with one minute rest between. It has been a long time since I did any sort of speed workout. When I was passing the 200m mark in 45 seconds, I realized that I used to finish the entire 400 in less than 10 seconds more than that, but could not even comprehend how I could run that fast now. But, I'm starting and the speed will return. It has to. My science teacher teammate decided to announce to some of the kids that I was planning on running the 600 at field day. I have until the beginning of June to get ready.

No comments: