Saturday, March 7, 2009

Race Wrap-Up

As I said in the last post, it was a good race. I cannot believe how well I did considering I've only been back running about 2 months now. I hit the 3 mile mark at about 25 minutes. At that point, I felt like I could finish in just over an hour. Then I hit the really steep parts. Or, maybe they just felt steeper because I had already run 3 miles, mostly uphill. The course map includes an elevation profile, but even it doesn't truly capture how torturous the last few hills are. What I thought had been the last big hill was just a little blip around mile 4. A mile later, I found out how wrong I was.

All in all though, it was a great race. I actually averaged under 11 minutes/mile, didn't get beaten by my 8th grade student, and they had beer and chili at the finish line (actually, it was inside a little ways away from the finish line).

No comments: