Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Goodbye Cafe Montmartre

It's a sad day for the Madison, WI downtown. My all-time favorite bar and home of the best rusty nails is closing. Cafe Montmartre was a staple for me and my roomates my senior year. This travesty of the economy is made worse by the fact that in the two years of grad school I also spent in Madison, I don't think I made it there once. I loved the atmosphere and have been missing it since I moved. While it seemed the place that would exude a slimy feel of superficial hippness (which really rubs me the wrong way), Cafe Montmartre managed to retain an actual identity without any pretentiousness. Other, similar bars that I've been to have not been able to capture the authentic feel that seemed so casually comfortable within the crumbling brick exterior just off the capital square. Cafe Montmartre, you will be missed!

It reminds me how we need to support the things we like, even if it means spending a little bit more. If there is a running shoe store that gives great service, buy your shoes there. Don't take their services and order online. I fully appreciate the need to save money and am a regular customer at Amazon, Borders, Target, and other large warehouse-type stores, but places that offer a unique atmosphere and add color to the local scene need to thrive.

No comments: