Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ok, that was cold...

I went for a run 4 days this week, and one day was not Wednesday or any day on the weekend. That means that I went for a run on Friday. Anyone who's been paying attention to the weather recently will realized that most of the country was experiencing rather cold weather (possibly relative to wherever that part of the country is, but cold nonetheless). I checked the temp before I left school (11.5 degrees), and I figured I'd be ok for a little while. The fact that my nostrils only got a weak, partial freeze in the morning only solidified my confidence. It was about 10 degrees when I started the run and I have to admit, I almost quit after the first five minutes. Given that this is my first week back running, I know that I need to keep things consistent, or it becomes too easy for me to not run. So, I ran the entire route and for the first time in a long time I began to think that it was actually cold outside. To be honest, I did forget my jacket at home, but the only parts of me that were actually cold were my eyebrows (or the ridge of bone behind them) and my hands. Apparently, the gloves given out at the December of 1994 Jingle Bells run in Madison, WI are not all that warm. By the time I realized how cold they actually were, I was at the point of no return. Happy ending though. I finished the run 1.5 minutes faster than I had managed the entire week. I guess you could say I was somewhat motivated to get back in car sooner rather than later.

No comments: