Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thoughts from the midpoint of the year

Well, the 1st semester has ended. We know who the players, slackers, grade-monkeys, followers, and leaders are. Too many of the first four, not enough of the last. This is not to say that we don't have a great group of kids, but I'm not seeing a lot of initiative or individual thought out of this group. Hopefully, some more will surprise me heading into the second half of the year. This week may be my first 5-day week since before winter break. No snow days, vacation days, or sick-child days (I hope). I think I'd be all in favor of a four-day week.

I've been running consistently for two weeks now. I even managed two runs of 4 miles this past week. I feel better running in this attempt to return to running form than I have, probably since I did the marathon in college. In fact, I think that I want to set the goal of running Grandma's marathon in 2010 so that I may avenge myself and not half to say that I've finished a marathon, but had to walk to last nine miles pulling a leg with two pulled muscles. I was on pace for a 3.5 hour finish. Granted, I have consistently said that I had no desire to ever do that again, but it's been nagging at me that last few years now. This summer is out. Having a sub-one-year-old in the house and a 3.5 year-old is not conducive to real training. But I think that it's doable for next year. Anyone want to volunteer to watch the kids for a long weekend?

No comments: